About Services Fees Testimonials Links Forms FAQs Contact Us
Frequently Asked Questions
Are my Family & Medical Leave payments taxable
What are some general IRS recommendations for tax preparedeness?

IRS Recommendations

(list available at www.irs.gov)

  • Check the person's qualifications. Ask if the preparer is affiliated with a professional organization that provides its members with continuing education and resources and holds them to a code of ethics. New regulations effective in 2011 require all paid tax return preparers including attorneys, CPAs and enrolled agents to have a Preparer Tax Identification Number.
  • Check the preparer's history. Check to see if the preparer has a questionable history with the Better Business Bureau and check for any disciplinary actions and licensure status through the state boards of accountancy for certified public accountants; the state bar associations for attorneys; and the IRS Office of Professional Responsibility for enrolled agents.
  • Find out about their service fees. Avoid preparers who base their fee on a percentage of your refund or those who claim they can obtain larger refunds than other preparers.
  • Make sure the tax preparer is accessible. Make sure you will be able to contact the tax preparer after the return has been filed, even after the April due date, in case questions arise.
  • Provide all records and receipts needed to prepare your return. Most reputable preparers will request to see your records and receipts and will ask you multiple questions to determine your total income and your qualifications for expenses, deductions and other items.
  • Never sign a blank return. Avoid tax preparers that ask you to sign a blank tax form.
  • Review the entire return before signing it. Before you sign your tax return, review it and ask questions. Make sure you understand everything and are comfortable with the accuracy of the return before you sign it.
  • Make sure the preparer signs the form and includes their PTIN. A paid preparer must sign the return and include their PTIN as required by law. Although the preparer signs the return, you are responsible for the accuracy of every item on your return. The preparer must also give you a copy of the return.

Our commitment to you:

  • TAX IT EZ is a member of the Washington State Better Business Bureau.
  • TAX IT EZ is a member of National Association of Tax Professionals.
  • TAX IT EZ's office is available year round by appointment.
  • You will only sign your return after TAX IT EZ's preparers have reviewed it with you.
  • TAX IT EZ's professionals all have the appropriate PTIN's as required by IRS regulations.
  • At TAX IT EZ, your taxes will be prepared in individual offices, not cubicles or other open spaces. This is important in order to protect the privacy of your information.
How can I show that I provide more than 50% of the support for my qualifying dependent?

The IRS provides WORKSHEET 3-1 in Publication 17 that walks you through the calculation. Click HERE to view a copy of that worksheet.

I am starting a small business, what do I need to know?

What New Business Owners Need to Know About Federal Taxes-- Links to basic federal tax information for people who are starting a business, as well as information to assist in making basic business decisions. The list should not be construed as all-inclusive. Other steps may be appropriate for your specific type of business.

I donated a bunch of miscellaneous household items to charity. How do I know what the value is?

If you receive a benefit from the contribution such as merchandise, goods or services, including admission to a charity ball, banquet, theatrical performance, or sporting event, you can only deduct the amount that exceeds the fair market value of the benefit received.

For contributions of cash, check or other monetary gift (regardless of amount), you must maintain a record of the contribution:

  • A bank record or a written communication from the qualified organization containing the name of the organization, the amount, and the date of the contribution.

In addition to deducting your cash contributions, you generally can deduct the fair market value of any other property you donate to qualified organizations. See Publication 561, Determining the Value of Donated Property.

For any contribution of $250 or more (including contributions of cash or property), you must obtain and keep in your records a contemporaneous written acknowledgment from the qualified organization indicating the amount of the cash and a description of any property contributed. The acknowledgment must say whether the organization provided any goods or services in exchange for the gift and, if so, must provide a description and a good faith estimate of the value of those goods or services. One document from the qualified organization may satisfy both the written communication requirement for monetary gifts and the contemporaneous written acknowledgment requirement for all contributions of $250 or more.

You must fill out Form 8283.pdf, Noncash Charitable Contributions, and attach it to your return, if your deduction for a noncash contribution is more than $500. If you claim a deduction for a contribution of noncash property worth $5,000 or less, you must fill out Form 8283, Section A. If you claim a deduction for a contribution of noncash property worth more than $5,000, you'll need a qualified appraisal of the noncash property and must fill out Form 8283, Section B. If you claim a deduction for a contribution of noncash property worth more than $500,000, you'll also need to attach the qualified appraisal to your return.

Special rules apply to donations of certain types of property such as automobiles, inventory and investments that have appreciated in value. For more information, refer to Publication 526, Charitable Contributions. For information on determining the value of your noncash contributions, refer to Publication 561, Determining the Value of Donated Property.

For additional information on charitable contribions visit the IRS Website at
https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc506 and https://www.irs.gov/publications/p561

My employer went out of business or refuses to give me a W-2... What can I do?

If you can not obtain a w-2 from your employer you may fill out a substitute w-2 by filling out the following paperwork. CLICK HERE for more details.

Can I file my taxes using my last pay stub?

NO! You must have W-2 in order to file your tax return.